Dead Sea Scrolls, Bible & Covenant
Run time: 20 hours
Dead Sea Scrolls, Bible and Covenant presents lectures from the Biblical Archaeology Society’s Seminar at St. Olaf College. Enjoy a front-row seat in the lecture hall as James H. Charlesworth (Princeton Theological Seminary) and Henry W. R. Rietz (Grinnell College) explore the significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls, the settlement at Qumran, the development of Biblical texts and the meaning of covenantal relationships.
This informative five-part series provides 20 fascinating and easy-to-follow lectures, as well as access to additional reading materials that further enhance your understanding of the subject. Each lecture is approximately one hour long.
Introduction to the Basics
- Introducing the Dead Sea Scrolls
- Texts and Contexts: Reading Ancient Literature and Archaeology
- Has Our Bible Been Copied Carefully?
- Ancient Near Eastern Covenants: The Imperatives of History
Shaping Identity at Qumran and in the Bible
- God’s Covenant with Abraham
- What Scrolls Challenge the Shape of Our Bible?
- Sacred Stories and the Creation of Identity
- How Is Qumran Thought Related to Other Aspects of Early Jewish Thought?
Interpreting Theology at Qumran
- Covenant Renewal Ceremonies at Qumran
- Is Qumran’s Dualism Unique?
- Interpreting the Bible in Early Judaism and Early Christianity
- Did the Qumranites Create the Concept of the Holy Spirit from God and Double Predestination?
Uncovering the Bible of Jesus and His Time
- Fulfilling the Covenant: Time in the Sectarian Dead Sea Scrolls
- What Light Do the Dead Sea Scrolls Shine on John the Baptist?
- Did Jesus Break the Torah?
- How Do the Dead Sea Scrolls Help Us Understand the Historical Jesus?
Understanding the Early Christian Texts
- The Cutting Edge: Abraham and Paul
- How Do These Jewish Texts Help Us Comprehend Paul and the Evangelists?
- The Promises in Luke-Acts
- Conclusion: The Revolutionary Effect on Qumranology
A PDF of lecturer handouts will be available for download to those who have purchased the set. Please see instructions on the packaging insert included with the DVDs for how to access this PDF.